Summary of the Lecture
- PEM Fuel cells – This kind of fuel cells is known as Proton Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells. PEM fuel cells are considered to be the most versatile one for industrial use.
Advantages of Fuel Cells
Some advantages of fuel cell are listed below
- Green Energy – H2 powered fuel cells are green source of energy, since they do not emit CO2 as in conventional internal combustion engines.
- Quite operation – Since there are no rotating parts in fuel cell it is always quite in operation.
- High power density – Fuel cells produce high amount of power for same weight of equipment compared to other conventional source of energy. This makes fuel cells preferred method in space applications.
- High Conversion Efficiency – Since Fuel cells convert chemical energy directly into electricity their efficiency is not constrained by 2nd law of thermodynamics. In effect fuel cells have got good conversion efficiency, they can convert 60-70% chemical energy into electrical energy.
What is Impeding Fuel Cell Technology?
So many advantages for Fuel cells, but still this technology hasn’t made way through industrial and technical applications as it should have. So what is impeding this technology from getting into your life?
Main reason which impede fuel cells technology is its high cost.High cost incurred mainly due to cost of membrane electrolyte and other accessories. But recent developments to cut cost of Fuel cell are positive.It is expected that in 20 years Fuel cell technology will be able compete other power generation technologies commercially.